top of page

How To Keep Your Cat Safe This Holiday Season

Some of the most beloved holiday traditions involve decorating or eating to your heart’s content. With garlands and tinsel thrown about, it’s essential to keep an eye on your dear feline friend as many of these decorations can be just as dangerous as they are enticing.


When dusting off your box of Christmas decorations this year, keep an eye out for a few specific items that can be considered dangerous for your cat. Tinsel and yarn may seem harmless, mostly considering all of the adorable photos of cats playing with balls of yarn circling the internet. Still, if ingested, these household items can quickly become deadly. Tinsel, yarn, or any string like decoration can quickly twist around your pet’s intestines, causing severe damage, often requiring abdominal surgery.


This year think twice before you deck the halls with boughs of holly. Holly, mistletoe, and ivy are all very dangerous to cats as they are considered poisonous. Ingesting any of these plants is likely to cause vomiting, diarrhea, and in severe cases, the ingestion of these plants can lead to death.

Lilies are also extremely dangerous as they are highly toxic. The ingestion of any part of the plant or a few sips of the vase water can be fatal for your cat.

Food and Drink

The best part of the holidays is undoubtedly the copious amounts of food and drinks displayed on your kitchen table. The smells that accompany these decadent treats are not only tempting to you but also to your feline. Though the chocolate may be calling your name, if your cat gets to it first, it can quickly turn deadly. Small amounts of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea, but more significant amounts can cause life-threatening seizures and heart failure. Grapes, currants, and raisins can also cause kidney failure in your pets and should be avoided. Another crowd favorite over the holidays is, of course, alcohol. Any small amount of alcohol given to a cat can cause alcohol toxicity resulting in a drop in blood pressure, body temperature, and even respiratory failure.

Over the holidays this year, consider replacing toxic plants with pet-friendly options or fake plants to keep the fluffy companions safe and happy. When it comes to food displays, diligently place covers over plates when unattended and never leave your alcohol out of your sight. Keeping your eye on your pets and making sure they are not sneaking small bites of table food will keep your furry family member safe and happy!

29 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page